Jersey Shore (PA) Swim Blog

Jersey Shore (PA) Swim Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Jersey Shore HS Swim Team Has New Coach at the Helm

The Jersey Shore High School Swim Team is ready to start the 2015-2016 with its 5th coach in several years.  Former JSHS swimmer and Lock Haven University alumni, Jenna Brooks will take over the program.  Below is a short bio of the new coach.

Like most families with multiple children, the youngest is often dragged along to the older kid’s activities.  So the same happened to the new Jersey Shore High School Swim Team coach, Jenna Brooks, when she started swim lessons at the age of 18 months.  “My parents put my older brothers in lessons so they put me in them as well.”

That foundation of swimming knowledge and techniques learned at an early age served her well over the years and various levels.  Brooks started swimming competitively at the age of 5 through the Jersey Shore YMCA team and summer recreation league, through high school, and capped it off with a stellar career at Lock Haven University.

With Jersey Shore High School, she was a 4-time District 4 qualifier with multiple titles in the 100 fly and several relays.  Those times and finishes were enough to get her multiple trips to PIAA States, with a podium finish in 2008 in the 200 medley relay.

Not content to call it quits, Brooks moved on to the next level.  “After high school I still had the passion for swimming and I was not ready to give it up. I had a lot of success in high school which allowed me to receive scholarship money which was another incentive to swim in college,” said Brooks.

Brooks started off at Bloomsburg University but transferred to Lock Haven University after the first year because of a change in majors.  It was not only a great fit academically but athletically.  Brooks went on to be a 3-time PSAC qualifier with two trips to the Division II NCAA Swimming Championships.  A 3rd place in finish at the 2010 NCAA Championship Meet garnered her All-American status.  “I am so happy that I chose to go to LHU because I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't,” said Brooks. 

She does recognize the importance of good coaching in the success of swimming.  Look no further than Brooks first swim lesson at 18 months of age.  “Betty Balzer was who my parents took me to for lessons and I continued to go to her for technique classes until I graduated from high school,” said Brooks.  “I owe recognition to all of the coaches that have played a role in coaching me or helping me become a better coach. Whether it was technique classes, YMCA, high school or college, they have all taught me something along the way to get me where I am today.”

Her coaching journey started two years ago, serving as an assistant under Williamsport High School head coach, Bill Keiser.  She has ambitious goals for her cadre of swimmers.   ‘I would like to qualify more athletes to districts and PIAA States, with higher finishes, said Brooks.  Her goal for herself is simple, “become a better coach since this year is my first year ever at being a head coach,” said Brooks.

Podium finish in for Lock Haven University in 200 medley relay at NCAA 2010 Championships, from left to right; Amanda Terray (backstroke), Brittany Rehrig (breaststroke), Jenna Brooks (butterfly), and Samantha Bekken (Durham) (freestyle)




Jenna Brooks on start of 50 yard freestyle in swim meet against Chapman University on training trip to California in 2010.




No comments:

Post a Comment