Jersey Shore (PA) Swim Blog

Jersey Shore (PA) Swim Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Penn State Swim Camp - Day 5

Kendra, Gabbie, and Evan all smiles after surviving Penn State's Swim Camp
This posting is late due to site administrator. This should have been posted on Thursday June 24.

Kendra
After we were done with our morning practice doing starts and turns we went to get pizza and to the awards ceremony. People got awards for winning king of the mountain and queen of the mountain and there was a boy and a girl camper of the week. They got Gatorade bags and a Penn State shirt for winning. After that we went back to our dorm rooms and packed and waited for our parents to pick us up. The best thing about swim camp was probably that I made new friends and to learn new things about the strokes. I want to do it next year too.

Gabbie
We had a post-grad from Penn State talk to us today. She talked to us about motivation. She inspired me because she made it to states when she was nine in the 200 medley relay and she swam butterfly. She also made it to nationals from the time she was 12 until she was 18. She swam on Penn State's team for 2 years. She met Michael Phelps in China when they were both teenagers. I want to go to nationals some day and I would like to meet Michael Phelps too. The best thing about swim camp was everything! I liked diving off the high dives, living in the dorms, learning new techniques and meeting new people.

Evan
Today we worked on starts and turns in the outdoor pool. I learned a new way to backstroke start that I think is going to be faster for me. Instead of crunching into the wall with your back kind of in a hump, you sit a bit higher and keep your back real straight. I also learned that coming into a turn in freestyle that your last stroke to the wall you need to push down and submerge yourself before starting the turn. Today was the last day so we had a pizza party and an award ceremony. It was tough saying goodbye to all my new friends, but I know that I will see them next year. The best about going to swim camp was meeting my new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment